Well its Sunday morning and I’m still in bed enjoying the
luxury of lazing, the day ahead has a promise of relaxing possibilities – leisurely sipping chai while reading the paper,and of a
long overdue hair oil massage…….
Suddenly there is an incessant door bell ringing, I groan ,
get up ,open the door …its my carpenter holding the milk packet and newspaper
reminding me that I had asked him to come home on a Sunday.
While I am still dealing with the carpenter, my eyes fall on a competitor
publication and we have missed an ad to
them . That’s blasphemy in our business, I’m hoping to god I get all my reasons
in place before boss can ask , I reach for the phone and he has already seen
the paper ….
As if so much drama was not enough, mom-in-law walks in with kheer ,
tutting about my pajama look and muttering something about rising early…She then proceeds
to my kitchen to search for her ‘rasam patram’..While I listen to carpenter ,about
what he plans, to the accompaniment of the constant clang of vessels and parallely
messaging office
.
It’s a huge relief
that the the rasam patarm is found ……Releasing I’m late for sending an office
report, I open the laptop to send it out,
Just then sandy wakes up all hungry, he
is on some crazy diet of sautéed peas(where the peas hv to be boiled for an
exact time and sautéed with turmeric , garlic and green chillies).
Stalling for
time I ask him to drink tea, he says he’s acidic, I plead to him, to give me 5
mts to complete the report, He whines about how office is more important than
him…. to keep him engaged I ask him to peel the garlic , he tries ,and asks me
if he can smash it … In my frustration ,I
say yes go ahead and the next I see from the corner of my eye the kitchen floor
is covered with flecks of white garlic peel, I dash to the kitchen put the peas to boil…Sandy now suffering
hunger pangs is rummaging through the fridge, and pulls a two day old take away packet
which has some roti and loudly telling me that all he gets in this house is
mouldy roti pretends to eat it..i chase him
and wrestle it out of his hands. The
report is still unfinished so between making the peas and report ..my white
phone has turned yellow and all the alphabets on the keyboard are various
shades of yellow……
In
all this confusion carpenter has made me agree to his design ,got an advance
and gone home. Sandy got his soft burnt peas, my report went late and I stress
ate mom –in –laws kheer……. So much for a Sunday, I want my crazy weekdays back…
No comments:
Post a Comment